Common Tax Forms

If you’re reading this post, you are probably wondering what tax documents you should be on the look out for, whether in your email inbox or in your postal mail box. While not exhaustive, below is a list common tax forms issued to individual taxpayers. Remember, it’s recommended you store these original documents for seven years!

  • Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
  • Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings
  • Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, or Retirement
  • Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement
  • Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement
  • Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement
  • Form 1099-INT, Interest Income
  • Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions
  • Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange (typically stock or bond sales)
  • Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income. Typically for Rent Income or Prize Winnings
  • Forms 1099-NEC, Non-Employee Compensation
  • Schedule K-1, Reporting Pass-through Income from a Partnership or S-Corporation
  • 1099-SA, Distributions From an HSA
  • 5498-SA, Contributions to an HSA
  • Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement
  • Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments (Typically Unemployment or State Tax Refunds)
  • 1095-A/B/C – Health Insurance Statement